The World Health Organization has defined Genetically Modified Organisms(GMOs) as “organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in such a way that does not occur naturally.” That should give you a clue. Historically, anytime man has fooled with Mother Nature, there have always been dire consequences.
A recent report, GMO Myths and Truths, authored by Dr. Michael Antoniou of Great Britain and Dr. John Harper of the US, provides evidence of peer-reviewed scientific studies about the hazards to health and the environment posed by GMO foods.
Compelling research and evidence have piled up against GMO foods. Here are a few reasons why GMO foods are harmful to your body:
1. Plants have a natural resistance to the chemical glycophosphate, a chemical used in the herbicide Roundup. Genetically Modified crops have been modified so that the plants are not affected by that chemical, thereby increasing the amount of pesticide residues on the plant and in the plant. Glycophosphates cause cancer and birth defects in very minute amounts.
2. Feeding GMO foods to laboratory animals in feeding trials has resulted in harmful effects to the animals including infertility, disruption of the immune system, rapid aging, issues with blood sugar regulation, and pathological effects on the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system.
3. There have been only a few studies on the effect of GMO foods on humans but the results give us cause for concern. Inflammatory responses, immune system dysregulation and intestinal permeability were a few of the side effects that were noted.
If you want to prevent cancer or if you are on a healing journey with cancer, you must avoid GMO foods.
4. Dr. John Fagan, a former genetic engineer, co author of the GMO Myths and Truths report, stated, “GMO food create unexpected toxins or allergens in foods and affect their nutritional value. Recent advances point to better ways of using our knowledge of genomics to improve food crops that do not involve GM.”
5. I personally have noted many patients developing headaches or achy joints after ingestion of GMO food.
6. GMO foods have been promoted because of their apparent ability to produce higher yielding crops to feed the growing population on the planet. The truth is, they have not.
7. Lastly, GMO cultivation has hurt our planet. Glyphosates are contaminating groundwater, the rivers and lakes and are killing the healthy bacteria in the soil. Glycophosphates have been found in 60-100% of all US air and rain samples, which means that even if you try to eat organic, you can thank Monsanto for poisoning your food and air.
If you are trying to be proactive with prevention or if you are on a healing journey with cancer, you must avoid GMO foods at all cost. Scientists are scratching the surface about the toxic effects of this modified and engineered “Franken-food”….so buyer beware!