Keeping your body healthy and balanced requires attention to detail. One of the factors that is often misunderstood or overlooked is the body’s pH. A question that is always discussed during an initial consultation with my clients is, “Do you know if your body is alkaline or acidic?” Answers vary from “yes”, “no”, to “my urine is” or “my saliva is”. So what is the correct way to monitor your body’s pH and why is that so important?
To begin with, let’s get clear about acid and alkaline measurements. pH is a number that expresses the acidity or alkalinity of a substance. It is the “potential of Hydrogen ions” in your body fluids. In an acidic state, there are excess Hydrogen ions. On the pH scale, 1 to 6 is acidic, 7 is neutral, while anything above 7 is considered alkaline. The normal value for healthy body fluids such as saliva and blood plasma is 7.4.
Everyday your body’s metabolism and your food choices create acidic by products that need to be neutralized, since a healthy body must maintain a pH of 7.4, or slightly alkaline. Your body is designed to buffer the acidity through various body functions such as respiration, excretion through urine and bowels and, digestion. When the body cannot keep up with the demand to neutralize the acidity, that is when dis-ease sets in. In fact, cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment and are by nature, very acidic.
When the body remains in an acidic state over an extended period of time, it uses the body’s mineral resources of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and zinc to help buffer the effect of the acid. If this pattern continues over an extended period of time, bone loss and stress on the organs occur.
Understanding Alkaline versus Acidic Foods
The best way to determine if a food is alkaline or acidic is the pH result AFTER the foods have been eaten. This is referred to as the alkaline ash or acidic ash, which is simulated in a lab, once the food has been “digested” or “burned” at a low temperature. The minerals that are in the alkaline ash residue are minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Most fruits and all vegetables produce alkaline ash, while meats, fish, poultry, eggs and grains produce acidic ash.
5 Simple Steps to keep your body alkaline:
- Maintain a diet that is 80% raw and 80% alkaline by incorporating a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Juicing, blending and large big salads are an easy way to get lots of alkaline veggies in your daily routine. An additional way to supplement your whole food nutrition is with capsules of Juice Plus, the next best thing to eating your fruits and vegetables. And of course, avoid acidic foods such as processed foods, grains, sodas and sugars.
- Mild to moderate daily exercise is actually is very alkalizing because of the increased oxygenation and respiration releasing excess acids.
- Keep your animal protein intake well below 60 grams per day. High protein intake with low intake of fruits and vegetables has been associated with significantly lower blood serum pH.
- Keep your fat intake less than 15% of your total dietary intake.
- Make sure you support your digestion with Betaine HCl to keep your stomach acids strong. Your stomach acid should be between 1-2 on the pH scale. If it is not, a cascade effect of poor digestion that ultimately affects the mucous lining of the intestine occurs.
What is the best way to monitor your pH?
Since you have alkaline and acid tides throughout the day depending on your food intake and physical activity, the best time to monitor you pH is first thing in the morning, preferably after 6 hours of sleep and after 5 AM. Purchase pH paper online or at a natural market and become familiar with the chart and numbering system. You can urinate directly on the strip or urinate in a small cup and dip the strip in the urine.
Immediate after the urine, rinse your mouth out with clean water and spit it out. Spit a second time into the sink. The third time, spit on the pH strip.
Your urine should be between 6.5 and 6.8, slightly acid, while your saliva should read between 7.0 and 7.5. Keep track of your pH for 1 week.
Keeping your body pH slightly alkaline is a key foundation for vibrant health. Monitoring and following these simple steps may insure that you prevent degenerative dis-eases such as Breast Cancer. If you are on a healing journey, keeping your body alkaline can only help reduce the stress on your body and speed up the healing process.