We have all heard the horrifying stories of cancer patients undergoing surgery to remove a simple tumor and months later the cancer has spread all over their body. The theory is that when you have surgery for removing a cancerous tumor, it causes the cancer to spread like wild fire. Is there any truth to that?
Here are some earth shattering facts about what happens to the body in response to surgical removal of a tumor. Exerts of this are taken from an interview with Suzanne Somers and Bill Faloon in her book Knockout. Bill is the director and co-founder of Life Extension Foundation.
- During the surgical procedure, natural barriers that contain the tumor are breached, enabling cancer cells to escape their original confinement and spread to other parts of the body.
- Surgery induces immune suppression while initiating an inflammatory cascade that provides cancer cells to propagate.
- In response to the trauma, the body secretes growth factors to facilitate the healing. Unfortunately, these same growth factors also stimulate tumor cell growth.
- Cancer spill into the blood stream from the surgical margins and establish metastatic colonies in other parts of the body.
- Cancer cells have a “Velcro like” surface that allows them to stick to each other and the blood vessel walls. In one experiment that mimicked surgical conditions, the sticking and binding of cancer cells to blood vessel walls increased by 250%.
- Surgery reduces the Natural Killer Cell activity. NK cells’ function is to gobble up cancer cells.
Scientists and doctors are well aware of these facts. The Annals of Surgery, researchers reported that cancer surgery itself can create an environment in the body that greatly increases metastasis and suppresses the Immune system.
Over 10 years ago, The British Journal of Cancer stated, “the primary tumor removal may result in sudden acceleration of the metastatic process.”
If you feel that surgery is important for you because you simply want that “thing” out of your body, or there is a life threatening situation that requires surgery, here are a few options that will decrease the serious side effects of the surgery.
Modified Citrus Pectin is a dietary fiber that is absorbed into the blood stream and prevents cancer cells from sticking to the blood vessels walls. Studies with Breast Cancer showed a decrease of adhesion by 95%.
It is suggested that 14 grams of modified citrus pectin be ingested every day for a year after the surgery.
- Boost your Natural Killer Cell activity with a variety of medicinal mushrooms, garlic, glutamine and IP6.
- Infusion of mistletoe extract before surgery can prevent the suppression of NK cell activity.
- There are a variety of nutrients that inhibit the vascular growth factors of metastatic cancer. Studies have shown that genistein, extracts of milk thistle, EGCG in green tea and Curcumin reduced tumor masses but as much as 60% – 80%.
Any surgery can be life threatening, but especially so when it comes to cancer. So many women I coach struggle with the idea of getting the tumor extracted from their breast with a lumpectomy or mastectomy. Whatever decision you make, make an informed decision, based on scientific facts, and not on fear tactics that so many doctors use. It is YOUR body and YOUR life. YOU get to decide what is best for you.