Why do women in Mediterranean countries have much lower rates of breast cancer? Their secret sauce is olive oil (and loads of fresh produce and healthy fats). Most dietitians say that the Mediterranean Diet is one of the healthiest ways to live due to the emphasis on fresh plant-based foods and healthy fats. Since olive oil is a staple in the diet and has been treasured since ancient times, it’s time to drizzle your world with it.
To get us started, here’s a quick study to wet your appetite for olives:
A Spanish study divided 4,282 women into three groups:
- Mediterranean diet plus 30 grams of mixed nuts a day
- The same diet but added 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- The control group: A low-fat diet
After five years, the women in the olive oil group had a 68% lower risk of breast cancer compared to the low-fat diet group. In summary, olive oil and healthy fats are essential to the life you want.
Medicinal History Of Olive Oil
Since the Roman period, olive oil has been used to moisturize hair and skin, treat wounds and sore throats, and even lowers inflammation and cholesterol levels. Hippocrates, the famous Greek doctor who heavily influenced Roman medicine and the regional olive oil industry, wrote about 60 conditions or ailments made better with olive oil, including skin problems, burns, wounds, ear infections, gynecological problems, healing surgical scars, etc. Fast forward to 2023, and it is still used for many of the same reasons—and others, including preventing and healing cancer.
Olive Oil Drips Out Cancer
Olive oil and olives should be staples in your kitchen because they include these powerful, natural cancer killers:
- Mono-unsaturated fat: Studies have shown could reduce a woman’s risk of breast cancer due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Oleocanthal: Studies found that this compound ruptures a part of the cancer cell wall, thus killing cancer cells.
- Luteolin: A antioxidant that protects you against breast tumors and reduces the risk of triple-negative breast cancer. (Learn about more natural support options for TNBC here.)
- Anti-angiogenic: A natural source that stops tumors from growing their own blood vessels, which can slow the growth of cancer. Matcha tea, red grapes, kale, and artichokes are also anti-angiogenic foods.
Here’s another promising study that our coaches recently shared with their clients. In 2022, a 1 million+ person systematic review and meta-analysis on olive oil and cancer concluded and stated these results:
- Up to one tablespoon per day was associated with a 9% lower risk of dying from any cause.
- Two or more tablespoons per day reduced mortality by 31%.
- Two or more tablespoons per day were associated with a 51% lower risk of cardiovascular and cancer death.
Olive Oil’s Health Benefits
On top of the cancer-killing benefits, olive oil is anti-bacterial, can reduce inflammation, and contains a plethora of vitamins and nutrients. The key vitamins are E and K. One tablespoon of olive oil contains approximately 1.9 milligrams of vitamin E, which protects your cells from free radicals. Vitamin E is also an excellent immune system booster, prevents signs of aging such as hair loss and wrinkles, decreases the risk of heart disease, etc. Vitamin K builds strong bones, increases brain and heart functionality, and is needed for blood clotting.
Of course, the type of olive oil you buy matters. I only buy organic, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil. Trader Joe’s, Olive From The Raw, and The California Olive Ranch provide quality options. The greener, the better for freshness and purity.
You get the most nutrients from drizzling olive oil on top of foods or cooking with it at very low temperatures. This is because temperatures higher than 150 Fahrenheit denature the oil, affecting the nutrition of the oil.
Hippocrates and I agree that “Food is your medicine.” Olive oil is good on almost everything, and here are a few olive-oil-infused recipes to delight and nurture your healing journey.
- Easy Olive Tapenade: A fresh, flavorful, and immensely healthy spread.
- Edamame Fennel Salad: A zesty, hearty, and quick-to-make summer dish.
- Cauliflower Gnocchi: An immune system boosting, cancer-killing comfort meal…need I say more?!
- Everything BUT Meat Balls: Nutrient-dense plant-based ball of yum – the pesto is my favorite part!
Take The Integrative Healing Approach
No matter your treatment plan, you can take countless natural actions to make conventional treatments more successful, energize your body, restore your immune system, and cultivate a vibrantly healthy life.
I have interviewed many of the top health gurus and medical doctors for the last 11 years to study an integrative approach to healing breast cancer. The Survive & Thrive Online Program is the best of all worlds have finally come together to give you a HEALING (not just a treatment plan) that works!