If you are looking for a gluten-free, nutrient-dense main meal that is just as tasty hot or cold, this is it! Free-range eggs provide a solid source of protein. The sulfur in the eggs along with a little dash of nutmeg and, of course, the coconut oil and coconut milk are all nourishing for the gut and great for immune-boosting. You can load this hearty quiche with as much nutrient and antioxidant-rich spinach as you want. You can also replace or add to the spinach with veggies such as kale, thinly-sliced carrots or mushrooms. One slice gives you a good portion of many of the “superfood” nutrients and healthy oils that you need every day. I make this quiche at the beginning of a busy week and nibble on it for several on-the-go breakfasts, lunches and even dinners with my family. Bon Appétit!
- 12 free range organic eggs
- 2 cups or more almond flour
- 1 BPA-free can organic coconut milk
- 2-3 medium-sized cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil plus 3 tablespoons (or more) coconut oil, melted
- 1 pound spinach (or veggies of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Himalayan or Celtic sea salt, black pepper to taste
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded manchego cheese (optional)
- Lightly saute the veggies and garlic in 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the 12 eggs together until frothy. Shake the can of coconut milk so that it is mixed well. Combine with the egg mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to egg mixture to taste.
- In another bowl, combine almond flour with 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil. Press into the bottom of sides of a 9 x 13 pie pan (glass is ideal). Add more almond flour/coconut oil mixture if needed to cover the inside of the pie pan with a layer of crust that is about ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Layer the veggies, ½ cup shredded cheese and egg mixture into the pie pan on top of the crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
At 350 degrees for 30 -40 minutes or until done.
Enjoy a slice right away piping hot. Then keep in refrigerator and eat it cold for a refreshing and nutritious treat later on!