Eat on a cracker or cheesy up your favorite recipe with my favorite alternative “cheese” recipe! Cashews are excellent sources of fiber, protein, and healthy fats—and a fabulous “dairy-free” substitute. You won’t regret doubling this recipe up because it can be stored in the fridge for 5 days or 2 months in the freezer. Say cheese!
P.S. Cashew “ricotta” cheese adds the perfect touch to my Vegan Eggplant Rollatini!
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Himalayan sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
Soak Cashews: First, it’s best to soak your cashews in water before starting. There are 2 ways to soak:
- Soak cashew in cool water for at least 2 hours in a bowl of water, covering the cashews with about 2 – 3 inches of water as they will swell up.
- For a quick method of soaking, let cashews sit in hot water for 5 minutes.
Blend: Drain cashews and place all remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor, process until creamy stopping to scrape down the sides every few minutes. Taste for flavors adding any additional ingredients.
Chill: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for an hour or two, this will stiffen the mixture a bit. You can also prepare your dish straight away without refrigeration if needed. Refrigeration will thicken the mixture a bit. If it becomes too thick, add a tad of water and mix well.
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days. To keep longer, store in the freezer for up to 2 months in a freezer-safe container. Let thaw in the refrigerator. Give a good stir before using.
Makes approx. 2 cups
Serves 8 – 1/4 cup per serving