“Cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes. Only 5-10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90-95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle.” – Researchers at the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Texas.
Recurrence. Your doctor has told you that there is No Evidence of Disease (NED). Your scans appear to be clean and your blood work looks good. YAY! You can celebrate! But is there such a thing as being “cancer-free”? Please understand that a PET scan may not be able to pick up a tiny tumor under the size of 4 mm. And there are the Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) and Breast Cancer Stem Cells (BCSC) that you also need to be aware of.
The thought of a recurrence can be like a haunting and weighted word that might follow you around like a shadow. But instead of living in constant fear, you take specific actions to experience control and peace. Focus on healing and creating vibrant health. Don’t give “the cancer” too much energy based on fear and doubts. Once you understand the mechanisms and reasons for the recurrence—fear can run far away—because you can stop recurrence in its tracks.
Breast cancer is not one disease. It is an accumulation of many illnesses and weaknesses in the body.
We live in an environmentally complex world inundated with foreign chemicals that assault our bodies every day. In the 1940s, the chances of developing breast cancer were 1 in 40. Now it is 1 in 3 will develop some form of cancer, and 1 in 8 will develop breast cancer. Even if you had cancer once, getting it again doesn’t have to be your destiny. Working with a Breast Cancer Conqueror Coach and your medical team is one of the best ways to tailor your treatment and lifestyle to prevent a recurrence.
What Are Breast Cancer Stem Cells (BCSCs)?
Breast Cancer Stem Cells (BCSCs) can be responsible for relapse even after all “observable” signs of a tumor are gone. “Increasing evidence has proved the existence of BCSCs and their function during tumor initiation, progression, metastasis, drug resistance, and tumor recurrence.” This 2020 study from Ohio State University provides a cutting-edge view into Breast Cancer Stem Cell biomarkers, subpopulations, regulation, and epigenetics. I suggest taking a look!
Breast Cancer Stem Cells are a small subpopulation of breast cancer cells within a cancer microenvironment that establish a reservoir of self-sustaining cells. They are able to self-renew and can contribute to aggressive metastatic lesions. This is how breast cancer can spread around the body and turn into other types of cancers, even after all “observable” signs are gone.
Conventional cancer treatments are designed to remove the bulk of visible tumors and destroy remaining cancer cells through the use of various drugs. However, these conventional treatments do not address cancer stem cells or any remaining Circulating Tumor Cells.
If “reprogrammed,” BCSCs can cause a tumor to grow and quickly spread throughout the body. For example, radiation therapy can cause regular breast cancer cells to turn into rapid-growth Breast Cancer stem cells. The good news is there are also a number of ways to naturally suppress the growth of breast cancer stem cells by eating strategic foods and taking specific supplements. A few of my favorite options are listed below!
There are several safe, effective, and noninvasive tests you can take utilize to prevent a recurrence. Here are a few that I recommend:
Oncotrail RGCC: A safe and easy way to monitor the risk of recurrence is by taking a blood test called, Onconomics Extracts by RGCC. This test provides crucial information on the presence of circulating tumor cells (part of cancer stem cells) and their concentration in people who have a confirmed diagnosis of specific forms of cancer, including breast, colon, and prostate cancer. It will also tell you which natural (and pharmaceutical) substances would help your body the most.
C Reactive Protein (CRP): This is an inflammatory marker test, which can be done easily through your primary physician. Inflammation can stimulate the production of breast cancer stem cells, and high CPR levels are a known indicator of a poor prognosis.
SmartDNA Genomic Wellness Test: This test covers over 160 DNA changes and provides comprehensive action steps. Please check out these tests here. I provide a few of my test results at the end of this blog.
Self-Breast Exam: A 23-year-long study conducted at the University of Washington found that while risky mammography found lumps 43% percent of the time, “human touch” found them 56% of the time.
Suppress Breast Cancer Stem Cells With These Foods.
- Curcumin. Best known for its inflammation-lowering effects, curcumin is also an inhibitor of cancer stem cells. Learn more via this blog post.
- Fermented Soy. A meta-analysis of over 4,000 other studies concluded that “…isoflavones (fermented soy) may have a protective effect on Breast Cancer and recurrence.” I recommend Haelen 951.
- Ginger. Ginger contains a phytonutrient called 6-shogaol that has the ability to specifically target cancer stem cells. This study found that the cytotoxic effect of ginger was 1,000 times more effective at inhibiting Breast Cancer than the common chemotherapy drug Taxol. Taxol also has little to no effect on Breast Cancer stem cells. Ginger can be taken as a supplement, and check out these yummy ginger recipes here!
- Broccoli Sprouts. Broccoli can activate over 200 gene-related cellular defense mechanisms, which inhibit the growth of cancer cells and prevent cancer recurrence. It can also inhibit BCSCs with no side effects (learn more here), induces apoptosis, decreases inflammation, and increases Natural Killer Cell activity. The easiest and most effective way to ensure you get the proper amount of broccoli sprouts is by daily taking Brocco Power.
- Matcha Tea. Matcha green tea is one of the best sources of Epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG. EGCG has the ability to stop Breast Cancer stem cells in their tracks (please review this study). I recommend drinking Superfood Science’s Matcha Tea and learning more about matcha and breast cancer via this blog post.
My Recurrence Story.
I created the perfect storm for recurrence. Yes, ME, the breast cancer researcher, speaker, author, coach, and natural health professional. Three years into my role as a super busy breast cancer coach working non-stop, I began to notice similar patterns to my first round of cancer. There was a pain in my left breast, I was stressed, I was not sleeping well, my hormones were not balanced and I was always exhausted. My thermography images and blood work confirmed what my gut already knew. Recurrence.
The shame, guilt, and shock were crippling. Was the 7 Essentials System® (which I wasn’t personally applying at that time in my life) a joke!? Was I a fraud!? How could I face the women I was supposed to be helping?
On a particularly sick and nauseous morning, I was laying on my bathroom floor, after a coffee enema, uncontrollably sobbing and boohooing. Then suddenly I heard my inner voice as clear as day—” Stop being so hard on yourself!” You have had your nose to the grindstone your whole life! Take a break! Learn to nurture yourself!
I so desperately wanted to help the women I coached that I didn’t take the time to apply the 7 Essentials System® that had proven to heal women around the world! It took living very intentionally, but I was able to gently lift myself out of this dark, downward spiral. Part of my new lifestyle included treating myself as if I was my own patient. It first started with setting proper boundaries and resting when my body was telling me to. Next, I connected with that little girl inside of me that so needed love, nurturing, and safety.
I am proud to say that I have healed my emotional wounds, (although it is an ongoing process), am enjoying a happy marriage, and daily prioritize nurturing myself. Instead of fearing breast cancer round #2, I shifted my energy to learning everything I possibly could about creating vibrant health and never fearing breast cancer again! If you aren’t changing it—you are choosing it. Choose the life you want.
Examples of My Genomic Wellness Test Results
Here are a few of the test results from the SmartDNA Test I took when discovered I had a recurrence. Check out my results and the specific actions I did to heal myself. It’s an amazing time to be alive because we can now know specifically what is happening in our bodies!
- Glutathione-GSTP1 – I have the heterozygous AG genotype for GSTP1 rs1695 which is associated with a higher sensitivity to mercury, cadmium, arsenic, pesticides, and air pollution for breast, prostate, urinary, esophagus, and skin health.
- I detoxed from my amalgam removal and became intentional about using specific foods and products to increase my glutathione levels. I am very aware of my environment and take steps to detox on a regular basis with Coffee Enemas and sweating.
- Cell Protection-SOD2 – My mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell) may have a higher sensitivity to glyphosate, fluoridated water, chronic stress, poor sleep, and shallow breathing.
- I drink clean, filtered Hydrogen water, began monitoring my magnesium levels, focused on managing stress, prioritized quality sleep, and began a daily deep breathing practice with the Heart Math. This trained my body and brain to stay in the relaxation response as much as possible.
- Vitamin D-CYP2R1 – My genotype is associated with low circulating vitamin D levels that can affect immunity and breast health.
- I have to supplement 10K of liposomal Vitamin D per day to keep my levels around 80ng/mL.
If you monitor and manage your health by applying The 7 Essentials, there is no need to ever fear Breast Cancer again!!