This dish is a real treat. Not only are portabellas savory and satisfying, like all Agaricus bisporus mushroom varieties (including portobellos and criminis), they are LOADED with essential minerals and provide unique immune support. In fact, mushrooms are especially important to consume for those who wish to prevent Breast Cancer. Studies have shown that the fatty acid CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) in mushrooms may help prevent and heal ER-positive Breast Cancer by balancing estrogen production. And don’t forget the basil! With close to a dozen types of antioxidant-rich cancer-busting terpenes inside one little leaf, feel free to sprinkle as much of this herb as you want on top of the dish. There is nothing as refreshing as the taste of fresh, organic basil!
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
1 small organic onion (red or yellow), diced
1/3 cup prepared organic pesto
8 ounces organic, hormone-fress shredded skinless, boneless cooked chicken
2 large, fresh organic Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup manchego cheese, shredded (Sheep cheese – optional)
4 TBSP fresh chopped organic basil
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Lightly sauté diced onions in a small amount of coconut oil and set aside.
- Clean and scoop out mushroom innards until there is a “pocket” in each one. Set aside.
- Combine sautéed chopped onions, pesto, salt, pepper, and chicken in a medium bowl. Lightly toss.
- Divide mixture and press into each mushroom.
- Put the stuffed mushrooms in a skillet with a small amount of water. On medium-low with the lid on, lightly steam the mushrooms for about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded manchego cheese and chopped basil on top of each mushroom.
- Move mushrooms to a glass baking pan. Bake them at 425 degrees F for about 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted on top. Mushrooms should still be fairly firm.
- Sprinkle each mushroom with more FRESH diced basil and serve!