Your beautiful, powerful body is about 75% water. Daily consumption of clean water is the foundation of your life, especially when on a healthy breast journey. Water flushes impurities from your system, helps your body absorb nutrients, prevents constipation and dizziness, keeps your brain hydrated, regulates the digestive process, and provides countless other benefits. However, toxic water—especially water that includes PFAS and other damaging chemicals—can substantially harm your health. Fortunately, we have the information and products needed to proactively drink clean and nourishing water—at any time, anywhere.
The “forever chemicals” (PFAS) contaminate the drinking water and groundwater of more than 2,800 communities, affecting an estimated 200 million Americans. These extremely harmful chemicals get their name because they remain in people and the environment for decades. Studies have linked PFAS to cancers, weakened childhood immunity, endocrine disruption, weight gain, increased cholesterol, and many other health challenges you want to avoid.
Stop Drinking Chemicals!
Tap water is just a chemical cocktail. It doesn’t matter where in the world you live, DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER! I could write endless novels on why you must never drink tap water, but to save us all time—here are a few of the big reasons:
While the EPA does not mandate it, many state governments choose to put fluoride in tap water. The average tap water-drinking adult could consume 3 milligrams daily. If you shower without a filter, your skin also absorbs chemicals going straight to your bloodstream. It is a known endocrine disrupter and can lead to imbalanced thyroid function, depleted iodine levels, and the eventual use of thyroid medication. All of these are known risk factors for breast cancer. Women who take synthetic medication to regulate their thyroid are twice as likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Learn more via this blog post on iodine and thyroid health.
They are “foreign estrogens” that imitate aggressive estrogens (mainly estradiol) and take up vital space in the body’s mammary tissue estrogen receptor sites. These potent chemicals are powerfully dangerous, and research has found high levels in many breast cancer tumors. This is because they are toxic chemicals that will masquerade as hormones in your body and wreak havoc on hormonal balance, which can lead to breast cancer. Xenoestrogens are found in tap water and plastic water bottles. You can learn more about them via this blog on phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG.org) provides a fascinating and interactive map of chemicals in tap water across the USA. In my Flordia neighborhood, one of the nasty chemicals in my tap water is chromium-6. It can cause lung cancer, liver damage, reproductive problems, and developmental harm. For a detailed report, you can type your zip code into EWG’s water database and find out exactly what is in your tap water—it’s horrifying! Please take a moment to see what is in YOUR tap water!
Every Drop You Drink Matters
We all know it is essential to stay hydrated so we don’t get dizzy, constipated, and just feel dry inside. However, there is a lot more to it! Here are a few more reasons why staying hydrated helps you live a healthy breast lifestyle:
- Metabolism. Water is essential for metabolism because it helps the body burn energy in the most efficient way possible. Cell hydration is necessary for cells to maintain glucose transport and insulin sensitivity. When you are dehydrated, that means your cells are thirsty, too.
- Detoxification. Water is vital for flushing waste out of the body. It keeps things moving through the lymph system, the liver, the kidneys, and the pancreas. It is needed for sweating through the skin as well.
- Muscles. Joints, cartilage, and muscles all need water to stay hydrated. Dehydration can lead to joint pain and stiffness since there is less lubrication for shock-absorbing and movement.
- Digestion. Hydration is key for the proper digestion of food and for maintaining the intricate balance of pH levels. It is also vital for the healthy balance of gut flora. Dehydration is a key component of many gut-related issues, such as constipation, heartburn, IBS, diverticulitis, and ulcers.
Home Water Filters For Breast Cancer Thrivers
I can’t stress this enough—home filtration systems (drinking and bathing)—are necessary for healing and leading a vibrantly healthy life. However, not all filters are the same. The info and products below are from EWG.org’s latest research, and please reach out to your Breast Cancer Conqueror Coach for more info and questions. But first, what about your Brita? It’s time to part ways. It only reduces 66% of PFAS and other chemicals such as lead. It also does NOT remove fluoride. If you have a Brita, please break up with it and choose a better option below.
Berkey Water Filters
For starters, Berkey is my go-to water brand as they provide non-plastic designs, large water capacities, 100 percent PFAS reduction, and exceptionally long filter life. I use the Royal Berkey Water Filter to remove pathogenic bacteria, cysts, and parasites entirely and extract harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222, and trihalomethanes. It also reduces nitrites and heavy metals such as lead and mercury. It is more than a filter – it is a purifier since it removes 99.999% of contaminants. This system is so powerful it can remove food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs. Click here to shop for Berkey products.
The filtration system in the Echo Hydrogen water is a very rigorous one. The benefits of adding hydrogen to clean water are pretty amazing. There are over 700 studies showing the positive effect of hydrogen on the body. Learn more about the benefits of Hydrogen water by going HERE. Use the code DRV10 to get 10% off your order.
- Boosts Antioxidant Activity: Hydrogen water is rich in antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals that can cause cellular damage and inflammation.
- Reduces Inflammation: The antioxidants in hydrogen water help reduce inflammation throughout the body, which is linked to many chronic health conditions.
- Supports Brain Health: Hydrogen water has been shown to improve cognitive function, memory, and mood by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.
- Enhances Skin Health: Hydrogen water can help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the skin, which can lead to a more youthful and radiant appearance.
- Boosts Immune Function: The antioxidants in hydrogen water can help support immune function by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation throughout the body.
Aquasana Home Systems
Aquasana allows you to instantly transform your shower, bath, laundry, cooking, and drinking water into clean, extraordinarily safe water. Click here to learn about their innovative technology and whole-home water filtration systems.
When doing your own research, make sure to check if the filter removes chlorine, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals (lots of birth control estrogen is found in our waters), industrial and agricultural pollutants, fluoride, lead, mercury, PFAS, and it is NSF-certified. Also, make sure that it is easy to use—so that you will actually use it! Enjoy the fresh taste of clean water!
Author: Dr. Veronique Desaulniers, better known as Dr. V, is a Doctor of Chiropractic & has 44 years of experience in the wellness industry. For personalized support, please partner with a trained Breast Cancer Conqueror Coach.