Stop using microwaves and toxic cookware!

< Back To Posts

Blog | Dec, 14 2021

Stop using microwaves and toxic cookware!

toxic cookware

In the modern world we live in, convenience rules our busy days. Which makes sense that over 90% of kitchens in America have at least one microwave and are filled with toxic cookware. Microwaves heat up our meals and coffee, quickly and effortlessly, but oftentimes in toxic cookware such as plastic and styrofoam – a double whammy for your healing journey. Microwaves and convenient (toxic) cookware have become such a part of our everyday life that most people never stopped to think about if they are safe, and the potential harm a microwave could bring to our bodies. 

Wave goodbye to the microwave!

Since I am a person who is all about research and facts, here are evidence-based reasons why you should wave goodbye to your microwave. Your healing, family, and the planet will thank you! 

Below is a quick summary of why people on a healing journey should not use a microwave and toxic cooking products. You can dive into more research and vital information in my book, Heal Breast Cancer Naturally.

Reason #1: Microwaves Cause Molecular Damage.

Problems arise with the friction caused by vibration at the atomic level. This process literally tears apart surrounding molecules, deforming them.  A study conducted at the University of Vienna found that when food was microwaved, amino acids, the building blocks of protein, were converted from their natural forms to biologically inactive forms which may be toxic to nerve and kidney function. In addition, researchers at Stanford University Medical Center found that warming breast milk in a microwave destroyed 98% of the antibodies that help boost immune function in nursing infants. It also destroyed 96% of liposome activity, which inhibits bacterial growth.

Reason #2: Eating Microwaved Food Leads to Inflammation in the Body.

In an impressive study, participants were given various preparations of vegetables and milk. Some were served raw, some were heating conventionally, and some were heated using a standard microwave oven. The researchers took blood samples of all individuals right before eating and then at various times after consumption. The study showed a higher level of white blood cells, causing a condition called leukocytosis. Leukocytosis is connected to inflammation and infection in the body. “It appears that these marked increases were caused entirely by ingesting the microwaved substances.”

Reason #3: Microwaving Releases Carcinogens.

Studies by Dr. Edward Fujimoto (formerly the Wellness Program Manager at Castle Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii) reported that microwaving foods high in fat may release dangerous dioxins. It may also release polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a substance found in plastic dishware, and bisphenol A (BPA), a substance often found in cookware created specifically for microwaves. BPA is a known Xeno-estrogen that has been linked to breast cancer.

Reason #4: Microwaving releases dangerous EMFs.

No, it doesn’t stand for “enough microwave frauds,” but it is a good way to remember that EMF (electromagnetic fields) are extremely harmful to your body. In fact, electropollution has been labeled the deadliest toxin on the planet. We may not see EMFs with our eyes, but that doesn’t mean we have been tricked into thinking they are okay to have in our homes and near our bodies. The BioInitiative Report is an internationally acclaimed scientific and public health report on potential health risks of EMF, radio-frequency, and microwave radiation. It found that chronic exposure to all the above is associated with increased health risks that vary from impaired learning, headaches, mental confusion, skin rashes, tinnitus, and a variety of cancers and diseases like ALS and Alzheimer’s.  

According to Powerwatch, a non-profit organization in the UK that delves into the research about EMFs and microwave radiation:  “Even when the microwave oven is working correctly, the microwave levels within the kitchen are likely to be significantly higher than those from any nearby cellular phone base-stations. Remember also that microwaves will travel through walls if the microwave oven is against an inside wall.” For a real-life example, If you stand 1 foot away from the microwave, you are being exposed to about 400 milliGauss. Studies have shown that as little as 4 milliGauss has been linked to leukemia. 

Indoor air pollution and toxic cookware

Everything is connected – including the products you use to cook and the air in your kitchen, and across your home. The EPA reports that the air quality in our homes and other buildings can be more seriously polluted than the outdoor air in even the largest and most industrialized cities. Concentrations of some pollutants are often 2-5x higher than typical outdoor concentrations. Indoor air pollution can lead to respiratory and heart diseases and cancer. These pollutants include new building materials that emit formaldehyde, artificial candles, and sprays, dry cleaning chemicals.

Nonstick cookware is manufactured with a chemical called PFOA or C8. It has been found in the blood of the general US population, and it causes adverse effects in laboratory animals. It is an endocrine disrupter and has estrogenic effects. An expert report commissioned by the EPA recently labeled PFOA “likely to be carcinogenic to humans.” PFOA is also used in “wrinkle-free” clothing, carpeting, and microwave popcorn bags. Toss the nonstick cookware, but keep enjoying popcorn as an occasional treat – – just the old-fashion way of cooking it in a pot or kettle!

Plastic kitchenware should never ever be used to heat anything up. The heat breaks down the chemicals in the plastic and releases the toxins straight into your food or beverage. Another critical thing to note: you never know where your plastic, throwaway water bottle lived before you bought it. They could have sat in the hot sun outside of a grocery store for months, releasing toxic chemicals into your “purified water.” I always suggest bringing a BPA-free or glass water bottle with you whenever you are out in the world. This way you can stay hydrated with non-toxic water. 

Aluminum cookware and aluminum foil are both very reactive, and the metal can leach into your food. Aluminum absorption has been associated with cancer (including breast cancer), kidney disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. Always better to be safe than sorry, so never wrap your food in aluminum foil. In cookware, prolonged use can make the coating come off because we use them with high heat and changes of getting into your food are greater.

Affordable, non-toxic alternatives

Cookware and utensils made from bamboo, wood, stainless steel, and glass are excellent alternatives. To be specific, here is what I use in each situation:

  • Storing food: glass containers
  • Baking: glass, ceramic, and stainless steel cookware. I use parchment paper when I use metal pans or trays. 
  • Wrapping food for storage and preservation: I use beeswax. Here is a DIY recipe to make reusable, non-toxic beeswax wraps for food storage. If you are a busy bee, here is where you can buy some

Once you know better – you can do better! We can’t get stuck in the past. Let’s just focus on minimizing exposure for a better future; don’t get upset with yourself for what you did not know. 

Say So Long to Styrofoam

Styrofoam cups and plates should just be thrown out, right now. Styrene, the chemical used to make Styrofoam, has been shown to deplete glutathione, a primary antioxidant that protects against free radical damage. It also causes DNA damage and has shown evidence of estrogen properties. Styrofoam is especially dangerous when it holds hot food or liquids.

Safe cookware 

Le CruesetSay hello to Le Creuset cookware! I just love their cookware; it is colorful, perfectly designed, exceptionally easy to clean and use, and so durable you could pass them down to your children! (which I have done with my 1980’s bright orange pots) They are individually crafted by French artisans and made from the finest quality materials since 1925. The enamel-coated cast iron pots and pans have been tested for safety and purity and they clearly passed the test.  The pots are safe for dishwashers but I always hand wash mine. (or should I say my husband Brian, hand washes them – I cook – he cleans. )  Learn more about their products here.

Cutting out microwaves and toxic cookware is a major step towards living a vibrant breast healthy life. But there is still more to do! The 7 Essentials System™ will give you a step-by-step guide that will take out the confusion of your preventing and/or healing journey. It will leave you with clarity and a realistic plan of action.

Changes you can make today

  1. If you still use your microwave, never ever heat anything up in plastic.
  2. Use alternative cooking and food preparing methods to drastically reduce your microwave usage or be able to wave goodbye to it altogether.
  3. Throw away Styrofoam and use alternative, non-toxic food storage containers.
  4. For extra insight and 2×2 support, look into the Breast Cancer Conqueror coaching programs. We offer group and private coaching