Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is a type of unique plant compound called polyphenol. It is a catechin, a kind of flavonoid. EGCG provides your body with potent antioxidants that protect against free radicals causing cellular damage, thus the nickname “Tumor Terminator.”
Countless studies back up this name, including this 2018 study that states: “Due to the EGCG, this study found that drinking 3+ cups of green tea a day is associated with a 27% lower risk of developing breast cancer.” If just 3 cups of green tea can provide such promising results—imagine what drinking matcha (137x more potent health benefits) or daily taking the caffeine-free Teavigo® supplement would do!?
So pour yourself a cup of the only type of matcha I trust, and let’s have ourself a tea time chat that will be as powerful to your healing journey as the tea itself!
FYI – One cup of Matcha is so potent that it takes over 10 cups of regular green tea to come close to the anti-oxidant benefits of one cup of Matcha.
EGCG is the most abundant catechin found in black and green tea leaves. Other catechins, such as epicatechin, gallocatechin, and gallate derivatives, are also found in green and black tea leaves. It is also important to note that the words green tea and EGCG are not interchangeable. Most green tea extract supplements are roughly 50% EGCG. Additionally, EGCG is in fruits such as cranberries, strawberries, kiwis, cherries, peaches, pears, and apples. Nuts, including pecans, pistachios, and hazelnuts, also provide EGCG.
EGCG + Breast Cancer Healing
EGCG takes a multi-prong approach to powerfully kill cancer cells and prevent them from returning. Here are a few ways EGCG is a superhero in your healthy breast journey:
- Inhibits the growth of some types of breast cancer stem cells. To learn more, check out these exciting studies: triple-negative breast cancer cells, ER-negative stem cells, and the combo of EGCG and curcumin. The science community is just scratching the surface of the EGCG’s powers for healing different types of cancer. Always keep a look out for the latest research, and never be shy to ask the Breast Cancer Conqueror Team any questions!
- Suppresses the damaging effects of xenoestrogens in your body. Check out this study on stopping the proliferation of estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cells. Xenoestrogens are a type of toxic estrogen found in pesticides, herbicides, plastics, bleach byproducts, etc. Please review this blog post to learn more.
- Inhibits growth and induces apoptosis in tumors. You can learn more via this study and this study.
- Prevents cellular damage. EGCG is reported to be 100x more efficient than Vitamin C against oxidative stress in tissues and cells. Since breast cancer is a dis-ease that starts at the cellular level, focusing on healing damaged cells and preventing more damage is essential.
EGCG + General Health
EGCG provides mind and body health for all types of people! A few noteworthy health benefits that I want to point out include:
- Protection against neurodegenerative diseases. While there is still room for more research, all of the current studies have shown positive links between EGCG providing increased protection against diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease. You can learn more via this study.
- Helps reduce inflammation. Chronic inflammation can cause all sorts of body pain and illnesses, such as asthma, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Here’s an interesting study on EGCG and anti-inflammation activity.
- Supports healthy skin. Studies have found that EGCG can significantly reduce adult acne and helps aging skin reclaim its glow and softness.
- Immune system support. EGCG protects your body from viruses invading your cells and promotes a healthy microbe presence in your gut. ECGC also has the possibility of modulating the innate immune system, adaptive immune system, and intestinal immune system. Check out this study to learn more.
If you don’t like the taste of matcha, are sensitive to caffeine, or just want an easy supplement option, Teavigo® is a perfect choice! It’s a natural, caffeine-free green tea extract providing a highly purified and refined source of EGCG.
Sweet dreams are made of teas…who am I to disagree 🎶? Matcha tea is an amazing way to enjoy a calm and ECGC in a cup! Please take a moment to learn all about mighty matcha via this blog post. I also include a section about which kinds of matcha to stay far away from because some are brimming with sugars, dyes, radiation and other processed toxins!
Here’s a quick and shocking example, Starbucks’s grande (medium) matcha lattes contain around 30 grams of sugar! That is about 6 teaspoons of sugar. Imagine what that does to your blood sugar levels! If you want to skip the research and know you are getting the very best matcha, I offer Superfood Science’s Matcha Tea directly on my website! It is tested for purity and quality.
No “Hype” Or “Cure-Alls”
ECGC could be one of the puzzle pieces to solving cancer and experiencing vibrant health! During my cancer journeys (and you probably feel the same), I became incredibly frustrated and overwhelmed by the maze of information, products, and therapies on the internet. This is why I developed the 7 Essentials System® and wrote Heal Breast Cancer Naturally. Both are based on 40 years of work in the wellness industry, as well as my own healing journeys. My private coaching program, book, blogs, and podcast are curated for women who are tired of all the hype and “cure-all” products. It’s time to get down to proven, evidence-based info and learn to Never Fear Breast Cancer!