Go with your gut feeling. In the world of vibrant health, that old phrase has many meanings. Let’s start detangling them by laying out the facts:
- About 26 feet long.
- Folded between 800 and 900 times.
- It would cover an entire tennis court if totally laid flat.
- Contains 1.5kg to 2kg of bacteria—more than the weight of your brain.
- “Gut” refers to your entire digestive system.
- Your digestive system comprises the GI tract, the liver, the pancreas, and the gallbladder.
- The GI tract is the largest component of the digestive system. It is made up of the mouth, the esophagus, the stomach, the small intestine, the large intestine (i.e. the colon), and the anus.
- All food and drinks you consume go into your gut, for better or worse.
- Poor gut health can lead to all sorts of dis-eases such as thyroid issues, cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, SIBO, multiple sclerosis, obesity, irritable bowel syndrome, and type 1 diabetes.
- Gut problems and inflammation in the nervous system can lead to anxiety and depression.
- Makes up roughly 80% of your immune system.
Therefore, you should always be “going with your gut health.” As in, doing whatever it takes to keep it happy and healthy so that you will feel the same!
Gut Health + Breast Cancer
As you can see, the gut is a really BIG deal, which is why I discuss it many times throughout my book, Heal Breast Cancer Naturally, as gut health and breast cancer are directly related. Many studies have concluded similar notions.
A 2021 study: “Gut microbiota dysbiosis has been shown to play a role in the development of breast cancer via estrogen-dependent mechanisms and non-estrogen-dependent mechanisms involving the production of microbial-derived metabolites, immune regulation, and effects on DNA.” A 2019 study: An unhealthy, inflamed gut causes breast cancer to become much more invasive and spread more quickly to other parts of the body.
On the flip side, a healthy gut can help prevent breast cancer. If going through chemotherapy, it can temper chemotherapy side effects. “Naturally occurring gut bacteria can clean up chemo toxins in the body.”
Estrobolome is a collection of gut bacteria. It triggers healthy methylation of estrogens. However, an unhealthy gut will not metabolize aggressive harmful estrogens. Additionally, it can also impact weight gain, libido, and mood.
As for breast cancer, “If the estrogen metabolism–gut microbiome axis is functional with underlying individual variations in estrogen levels, it is plausible that the estrobolome could contribute to the risk of hormone-driven malignancies including breast cancer and as such could serve as a potential biomarker (156).” Learn more about this study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
Gut Health Tests
The good news is there are many options available to monitor the health of our gut. We don’t have to stress and guess—we can test! And then take action according to our specific results.
in 2019, during one of my Healing Diva Retreats at Hope $ Cancer in Cancun, Mexico, I somehow was infected with E. Coli! It tipped my gut health balance and triggered a cascade of events. However, I wouldn’t let it take me down, so I immediately started testing and consulted with an integrative Board-Certified GI Specialist. Working with a Breast Cancer Coach can help you navigate your results as well.
Common but often unknown to you, food “sensitivities” can also lead to gut health issues. You may not be full allergic—break out in hives or need an EpiPen—but even healthy foods can cause problems in specific types of biomes. Consider testing at peptide and protein levels for food sensitivities.
Knowing your gut permeability, and the control of material passing inside the gut and onto the rest of the body is also an important aspect of these tests. For example, one of my tests revealed that my gut permeability was elevated. Elevation and low diversity are indicative of an imbalance in microbial communities and are linked to many dis-eases.
Tests I Use
These are the tests I use, and below are some images from my results.
- Viome: Viome analyzes your stool to generate personalized food recommendations and over 30 health insights based on your unique biology and the gut microbiome. Check out their tests HERE.
- BiomeFX: This test will explore the pathogens in your gut and the keystone species that are crucial to overall health and the metabolic functions that rely on the gut microbiome.
- Vibrant Wellness: If you have a question, they most likely have a test. From environmental toxins to tick-borne diseases and corn sensitivity, you can find answers. The IBSSure and Gut Zoomer both provide a deep dive into your gut.
- SelfDecode: SelfDecode is a full genetic screening and DNA test. I use them for myself and recommend them to our clients because their team is overflowing with world-class doctors and scientists, all scouring hundreds of peer-reviewed studies each week to bring you the newest findings from the cutting edge of genetics research. Learn more about SelfDecode DNA Tests in this blog, You can order the kit HERE.
Healing IS for you. Preventing breast cancer and other dis-eases is for you. Wherever you are on your health journey, testing will help you find answers and take the right actions. I understand with SO much information comes feelings of overwhelm and anxiety. This is why I offer incredibly well-trained and empathic coaching options (private and group) to walk you through each step of your journey. You are never alone.
Test Results and Healing Supplements
Depending on your personal test results, these are just a few examples of health issues and ways to treat them. Always talk with your medical team before trying anything new.
A 72-hour fast regenerates the immune system. If you are going through chemo, immune-boosting effects (remember, 80% of your immune system is in your gut) helped reduce some of the horrible side effects. This other ‘remarkable’ study found that a 72-hour fast can also lower the risk of cancer in general and slow tumor growth and metastasis. Fasting can reduce inflammation, boost cognitive function, balance gut flora and hormones, reduce pain, and promote cellular health. To learn more about fasting, take a listen to this eye-opening podcast episode with Dr. Suzzane Buffie. You will find hope, learn how to start fasting and discover how some of the non-food-related reasons behind losing weight resistance and other health issues. Listen HERE!
Gut Healing & Health Supplements
- The Heal Your Gut Bundle works together to lower inflammation, strengthen the gut, absorb nutrients, and boost the immune system. Order your bundle today
- Raw & Clean Aloe Vera: Stockton Aloe 1 is my go-to for pure Aloe Vera. Many people have used aloe vera gel (inner leaf only) to tremendously help with the whole gamut of the stomach and intestinal disorders; from indigestion to cancer. You can order it HERE.
- Colloidal Silver: Argentyn 23 is an exclusive proprietary formula designed to provide safe and precise levels of functional silver that work in a natural balance with the entire body supporting immune health. Whenever I have a flare up, I take 2 tablespoons 3 times a day with my raw Aloe Vera. You can buy it directly from the shop.
- Probiotics: Probiotic Support delivers 15 billion organisms per dose and ensures delivery of the highest number of live organisms to the intestinal tract. Also, depending on your test results, you may need a specific strand. Order your bottle today.
- Colostrum-LD: is the only substance clinically proven to heal and prevent Leaky Gut Syndrome, the cause of many chronic dis-eases. Colostrum-LD remains biologically active at the cellular level with maximal effectiveness (up to 4X more effective than regular colostrum). When recovering my E. Coli, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), Chron’s, and other gut health issues, I took this 2x per day. Order your packet HERE.
Yep, I am telling you to look at your poop. When vegetable fibers are found, this means that one is not digesting correctly. If HCI (it stimulates the pancreas to release digestive enzymes), is not triggered and released as part of a functional digestion process, it can have a negative effect downstream on nutrient liberation, absorption, and utilization. Adding a gentle form of Betaine Hydrochloric acid may help improve your digestion.
Your gut is one of the major avenues through which the body’s internal mechanisms interact with the toxic outside world. Take the time to investigate your gut so you can then support it in the best way. Learning more about your specific gut health challenges is the right place to start because no two guts are the same and need the same care—so follow your gut.